Friday 24 August 2007

Another "suicide attempt"


It's been a stressful week. Last Friday all was well - after work we spent some time together, later got out to eat at a nice little Italian restaurant where we had been before.

On Saturday all went wrong however - it's a long story, having to do with us having agreed to take care of one of my sister's kids for an hour Saturday. Another of my sister's sister-in-law was supposed to take care of their other child, but as that child was ill, they had cancelled things with the SIL, out of fear that the illness would affect the SIL's daughter as well, and now they asked if we could take care of both children. I sensed that B. would not like this, but said "Okay, we will manage somehow". When I talked to B. about it afterwards she went ballistic along the lines "I have no value to them, they worry about [the SIL] and her daughter, but they don't care if I catch the disease, even if I am pregnant. No way I am going". I can see her points, to some degree, on the other hand we had been with the kids before without getting infected, and there's also a difference between two kids playing together, and an adult who is aware of the risks and can better remember to wash hands etc. as needed.

She said that I could go alone if I wanted to, but I clearly sensed it would cost me dear if I left her home alone to take care of the kids. So I called and said to my BIL that we were sorry, but we wouldn't be able to take care of the kids anyway. As I got a little crossed at having to cancel the agreement I had with my sister and BIL, she got angry/sad that I wasn't happy that we weren't going, and she went to the kitchen and sat down with some pills (anti-allergic pills that usually leaves her sleeping for a couple of hours), when I asked what she was doing, she said that she was going to take them all, because she couldn't bear to see me like this, angry/sad because of her. I talked her out of it, and took the pills away before she had taken any. She kept sitting at the table, after talking a little I went to the fridge to take out something, and she darted to the kitchen sink and picked up a large kitchen knife. As I stormed after her, she lifted the knife and threatened me, so I would keep my distance, then she put the knife against her stomach, and talked about how she wanted to end it all.

It took a while to talk her out of this, and make her put the knife down, including begging her on my knees, with tears running down my cheeks. After that we went back to bed, me still rather shocked. But in a matter of seconds she changed completely, saying "Well, I will go over and take care of the kids, you can come too when you're ready" while putting on a dress. Despite my protestations she was up and out of the door in a matter of minutes, with me still laying in bed. I can't imagine what my sister and BIL thought when she showed up unannounced at their door, but when I came over about 20 minutes later, after taking a bath and dressing, they joked a little about out unpredictability. They ought to be used to it by now.

The rest of the day turned out fine, but Sunday she was angry and talking suicide again, although without going to the lengths of Saturday. The rest of the week she seems to have been fine during the day, but she has been unable to go to school because she has been awake almost all night due to different illnesses and pains (and kept me awake most nights too, leaving me exhausted at work). Thursday she made me stay home from work, as she was "afraid of being alone, and of not being able to breath", but in the end she was fine, and we slept most of the day. I believe most of this is due to her being scared by having to go to school, where she doesn't feel well, and feels she is worse at learning than the others (which might well be true).

No comments: