Sunday 10 June 2007

Suicide - Threats and attempts

The suicide issue comes up almost every single day, a few times just subtly and unspecific: "I will never return to Brazil alive", "If you ever leave me I don't want to live anymore", "Do you remember what music you promised you would play while pouring my ashes into the sea?" (Whitney Houston, in The Bodyguard). Every fight however - and many times even just a minor disagreement - leads to new and clear threats of suicide.

Different ways she has attempted, or pretended to attempt suicide:

  • Pills: She would swallow, or claim to have swallowed, 5-10 Valium. This has happened both in Manaus, Kolding, Lund, and HovedgĂ„rd.
  • Jumping out of the window: She would open the window and lean out, as if trying to jump, but finally let me pull her back in. She has done this in Kolding, Lund and Dublin.
  • Jumping out in front of traffic: She would try to throw herself out in front of a car, while walking along a street, I would hold her back, and she would fight to get free. She has done this in Kolding and Copenhagen.
  • Cut a wrist or her throat with a knife: She would take a kitchen knife, or try to break open a Gillette razor in order to extract the blades, and threaten to cut her wrist or her throat with it. She has done this in Kolding, HovedgĂ„rd, and Dublin.
  • Jumping off a bridge: Talked about jumping off from a bridge (Vejle), which lead me to hide the car keys over night, so she couldn't leave on her own while I was asleep.
  • Electrocution: Talked about filling the bathtube with water, sit in it, and dropping the hair dryer into it.

Threatening killing me, or us both:
On a few occations she has threatened to kill me: Once in Ireland she put her hands around my throat, as to strangulate me, although she only tried halfheartedly. On the same occation she threatened to disturb me while driving the car, so as to crash us into oncoming traffic and thus kill us both. Other times she has just made vague threats: "I will kill you if you betray me".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People should read this.